Sunday, December 14, 2008

Happy Birthday, Santa

My nephew Harrison turned one on Saturday and we attended his party. His parents had bought him a Santa suit that they put on him and we all took pictures of him in front of the tree. Harrison is such a cutie and he really didn't even mind the beard all that much.



Birthdays have come a long way since we were little. I don't think they were such huge events before, and especially in my family. We didn't have big parties each year, and once we turned 10, the parties were over. I could have a couple friends over the spend the night, but a formal party with cake and decorations and favors ended when we were ten. And here is a sad, sad story that still embarrasses me...the year I turned 9, only ONE person came to my party. Seriously. We had just moved to Florida over the summer and in November came my birthday, and I invited all the girls in my class. Only one came. And no one mentioned it after that...and I never wanted a party again until I was 25. You're tearing up for me right now, aren't you?



And I love storebought cake, if I'm going to have cake. And I like cupcakes, cause you don't have to cut them. I believe that everyone should like storebought cake for their birthday. When Charlie and I first got married, and we were going to celebrate his birthday, I asked him what kind of cake he wanted and he said it didn't matter. So I bought a cake. Then I find out that what he really wants is his Mom's red velvet cake that she makes from scratch, and that he asked her to make. I was mad about it, cause I would have made him that cake would he have asked. But he didn't, and he didn't tell me that red velvet was his favorite. But Harrison's cake was really cute.



Birthdays are fun and kid's birthdays are especially cute. We were only at the party for an hour or so, since we had to get to another event on our social calendar (we are soooo popular these days.)

Happy Birthday Harrison.

3 comments:

emily freeman said...

Let's hear it for store bought cake! I'm with you. It isn't a birthday without it. And I am totally sick about your 9th birthday party. Sick, I tell you.

Heather said...

Harrison is super cute in his Santa suit! But your birthday story made me really sad. Really, really sad. I think as grown women we should throw each other little girl birthday parties complete with balloons and (of course) cupcakes.

Caroline said...

I LOVE storebought cake too,mainly for the iciing...yum...sugary sweetness. But I also love homemade cakes. Harris Teeter used to make a killer red-velvet cake.

Mr. Baseball had a party where only one kid came. I about cried the first time I heard that, but now we laugh about it. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Hope you and the man are well and about to celebrate a merry christmas. We should try to get together after Christmas, seriously.