Wednesday, June 4, 2008

an apple for the teacher

Friday is our last day of school and things are winding down. I have taken down my bulletin boards, inventoried my books and chased down kids who have lost books. This week has been both busy and boring.

This is a picture from a lesson I did on adjectives. We touched, tasted, and looked at apples.

I haven't been seeing classes for the last week or so because of library inventory. I have to scan all 9,000 books and account for them. This process is exceedingly dull and I hear the beep of the scanner upteen times. I started hearing it in my sleep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Oh. MY. Enough!

Then there are the kids that SWEAR they turned in that book. And then they find it in their desk. That happens a lot. I have stopped believing them. I tell them, if they have turned it in, it would be on the shelf. Go find it. Once in a long while, the book is on the shelf. Most of the time, it is under a bed somewhere or in grandma's car or was eaten by the dog.

This post is rambling, and I know it. But I felt that even though I am tired and ready for this year to be over, you would miss me if I was gone for more than 2 days. So I am posting. And not making much sense.

Today I was a pirate. Yup. The fourth grade has read Treasure Island and had a pirate day. They all dressed up and the teachers had clues for a treasure hunt, and one clue was in the library. So I dressed like a pirate. It was funny. Don't ask to see pictures. I didn't take any.

Ok, my dogs are crying to be fed, and I gotta feed myself too. Hopefully I can stay awake until So You Think You Can Dance and be entertained by people with a much lower body mass index.

Ta ta.

9 comments:

Hunny Bee said...

Pirates, apples, beeping. I've had days (and posts) like that before. And yes, we were beginning to miss you. How are you going to spend your summer?

Debbie said...

Sissy...If I haven't told you this lately, I just love and adore you! Even your ramblings are fun to read!

Heather said...

beep...beep...beep...

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Yup. Missed Ya. I thought about sending a 'what's your 10-20" on the last post but wondered if it would just be lost. Glad you're surviving the last days. Library, huh? I thought you were the art teacher (based on others' comments...). Guess I'm not a good guesser.

(beep. beep. beep.)

Caroline said...

Only a couple more days to go. My sis is also looking forward to saying farewell to her first graders! She's ready for a break! Hang in there and soon - no more beeping!

Unknown said...

Been there...I am a teachers aid who is currently working at a daycare. I've worked in High Schools, Elementary, Special Needs, Junior High and EVERYWHERE I've worked you reach the point, at this time of year where you just run out of brain cells. They get stolen and lost (along with the library books) and you need the summer to replenish them!
Hang in There!

Rebekah said...

When I worked in the video store, I heard all kinds of places people found forgtten tapes that were never returned.

Our school was out last week. They are driving me crazy with "Im bored"

Jennifer P. said...

I can only imagine how "itchy" school people must get knowing the end is near!!!

I had to laugh thinking about you being a pirate. I actually got invited to a singles dance a week ago. It was a pirate theme. I didn't go. Somehow trying to make first impressions dressed as a wench just didn't go over well in my mind :).....

But I bet YOU were just adorable!

Poker Texas Holdem said...

I know one more decision