Thursday, June 26, 2008

the holy grail (or, my trip to pottery barn)

I have been dreaming about it for months now. My trip to the Pottery Barn Outlet. I planned out drive back from Florida right past the Outlet Center in Gaffney, SC. After I learned of the existence of PB outlets, I was so excited. My husband bought me a gift card and I had some cash to spend as well. I was well rested and ready to shop.

Here we are! I was happy to discover that PB had actually taken over TWO stores in the outlet mall. One contained mostly furniture and the other had accessories and other items. The furniture store was smaller, but the other store....
was huge!! And full of things to discover! I wandered around in there for about two hours. Yup, I said two hours. Two hours of blissful touching, imagining, comparing and digging. And they were having a 40% off sale. What did I buy, you ask?

Nothing.

I know, it's sad. I didn't spend a dime.

I almost bought a lamp, but it was the wrong color. I almost bought curtains, but they were out of the color I wanted. I almost bought an end table, but it was really scratched. I considered a mirror, but wasn't sure I could fit it in the car. In the end, I decided that I didn't HAVE to spend my money if I couldn't find something that I loved.

But, here I am happily trying out this chair. I really did have a good time. I may go back in the future just to visit! It was a wonderful two hours, even though Charlie fell asleep in a chair and my mom lost interest and shopped elsewhere. They let me have my fun and got out of the way. Smart folks, they are!

I will save my gift card for another time. Maybe Debbie will let me come and stay with her and she will take me to the one near her house? Please, pretty please?!


8 comments:

Heather said...

SISSY!! I thought I'd taught you better than that. You're in the outlet AND you have a gift card????? Girl.Friend.

How is it not burning a hole in your pocket?

Rebekah said...

I am so envious! Pottery Barn is awesome

Jennifer P. said...

Is there something WRONG with you?!?! Maybe you're not like me and money (or gift cards) don't burn a hole in your pocket. But that's an awful lot of time to devote to....nothing :)!

Hope when you do spend your dough, it's for something absolutely PERFECT!!!

Sarah said...

Good to hear from you! Glad you had a nice vacation and I am praying for you with what you shared on our blog. I had the same struggle to believe I'd get pregnant and thankfully my husband called me out on it after about 6 months of trying. I just did not believe it would happen...or happen easily. So, I totally relate. God is doing a major work in my heart after the miscarriage to change a lot of my thinking and faith. It is awesome yet it has come out of a LOT of pain. I know He is working in you and in this situation. Praying for you!

Hunny Bee said...

Love the haircut!! Very cute and perfect for summer. I admire your strength to not spend your money just because you could. You'll be so happy you waited when you find the perfect thing! Glad you had a good trip. The wedding looked lovely.

Lula! said...

Oh Sissy, I have to share this with you. We used to live 10 minutes from "The Yellow Mall," which is what we called the outlets in Gaffney. Every stitch of clothing Libbey wore in her first year was from the Carter's outlet there. My shoes were all Nine West...my husband bought all kinds of stuff at Sony. We shopped there every other week, and I miss it terribly.

But Pottery Barn? Sigh...
Maybe in 3 years I made 3 purchases there. I never could find much of anything and it always depressed me. But the 3 things I did buy are still in use...my fave item is a 3-tiered, wrought iron basket that holds our fruit and looks quite cute on the island in our kitchen.

So I understand your pain...and lack of purchases. But hang on to those gift cards and money, girl--the website has sales all the time!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I am like this. I have money or gift cards or something particular that I am looking for...and I find *nothing.* But when I am just out and about browsing...I can impulse shop like no other.

Shannon said...

I can't believe you didn't buy anything!!!!! :) Let me know if you do anything with your window.