Monday, June 16, 2008

beauty in the imperfections

The Nester is hosting a picture challenge and the idea is to post a picture of something that isn't perfect, but it is beautiful. I have lots going on in my house right now, but the most recent thing I accomplished was refinishing this island piece.

We bought this island thing at TJMaxx, my favorite place. I could live there, seriously. Anyway, when we remodeled our kitchen, I wanted something unique in the middle of the kitchen. So I shopped around and found this. It looked nice, but wasn't what I wanted. What it was: the right price.
After quite a bit of sanding, stripping, painting and distressing, I now have this really cool island. I love it. I am so proud that my husband and I managed to pull this off and make it look so good. I mean, we could have bought it this way. For a lot more than what we paid for it.

But, I can share a secret, right? We can't shut the drawers anymore because the paint sticks them shut! If we want to be able to get stuff out of them, we can't close them all the way. So I'm not showing you that side of the island, with the drawers sticking out. You won't tell anyone, will you?

Thanks to all that read my last post about Father's Day and left a comment. It was a hard one to write, but I felt that it was an appropriate way to honor him.

And some fun to leave you with..

14 comments:

Darla said...

SERIOUSLY?! That is beyond gorgeous!

The Nester said...

sissy!

you have THE cutest blog in the free world!

Seriously--your header is fantabulous! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

apparently, i haven't been here in awhile!

nice to see you!

Nicole said...

I love the island, you guys did an awesome job. I need to go check out TJ Max, I would love something like that. I love your blog, did you do it yourself or do you have a blog designer, it looks awesome!

Laurie Anne said...

What a great island!! Isn't TJMAXX just the best place ever?? You might try rubbing a candle along the the parts of the drawers that stick. It has always worked for me when the furniture I've painted develops an "attitude" :0)

Hunny Bee said...

Love it! I won't tell anyone about the drawers. I'll have to check out this contest, too. I've got all sorts of imperfect crap around here!

Rebekah said...

Very cool. I love it Make me one

Tip Junkie said...

Those are great and what a fun challenge!

Mama Said said...

Love the island! Aren't they just so handy? Your blog design is awesome! Just read your Father's Day post. Beautiful. You are so blessed to have had such a wonderful earthly example of our Father. It is a difficult thing to overcome when you don't. Hang in there on the infertility. That's a another tough thing that most people don't understand. I'll be praying for you, sweetie.
Mama Said

Debbie said...

Hi Sissy...You know I love that island! And I loved your Father's Day Post. You are/were blessed to have such wonderful earthly father.

Heather said...

WOW, girl. Look at that comment from THE Nester herself. I love love love your island, imperfections and all.

And your puppers looks very soft. So cute!

Shannon said...

I still love looking at that island! I'm so jealous!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Oh my, I LOVE the door comments! I've spent half the day driving in my car trying to figure out how I could help you figure out how to unstick them. Yet, they would not be imperfectly beautiful then, would they!

~Karin

I am Mom said...

your blog header picture is so great. I love TJ Max too. I just bought a chair and a lamp there two days ago - after going in to buy a baby shower gift! Your island is so cool. Im sure I will visit you again :)

Anonymous said...

That is so fabulous! I loved it even before, but now, holy smokes woman, you are talented! wanna do one for me? pretty please? :)