Thursday, September 11, 2008

today is september 11th

You know, I almost skipped right by today. Really. I just looked at the date and realized what today is and was.

I remember, as we all do, what I was doing. I was teaching high school and a former student walked in to visit me and she said that there had been a plane crash. The news had just reported it and that the plane had hit a building. We didn't think much of it. I just kept teaching.

Then our principal came over the loudspeaker and told us that something important and scary was going on, and that he believed it was important for us to turn on our TVs and watch. And we did. I turned on in time to see the second plane hit the towers. And to see them fall. And to see confused looks on my kids' faces as they attempted to process this.

And to hear all the cellphones start ringing.

Many kids left early that day. Parents gathered and took their babies home. We watched the news all day, having discussions with our kids. Using this terrible attack as an authentic learning moment.

My life was not touched like other lives were touched. I did not lose a loved one or my job. But I remember and I ache for those who did.

So, if this day skipped right by you, too, take a moment and remember. Think back to where you were. Honor those who were lost by giving them a minute of your time.

It's Patriots Day.

4 comments:

Frizzy said...

I remember and am in tears for our countries loss once again.

Lula! said...

The last sentence...oh, Sissy...that got me.

Yes, it is Patriot's Day!

Rebekah said...

I was sitting in my dispatch chair as the police chief and I had our eyes locked to the tv.

I'll never forget

Unknown said...

Even here in Canada, we remember, such tragedy that we all hope never happens again.