Wednesday, July 22, 2009

getting out the fancy dishes

Last week my husband and I celebrated our fifth anniversary, and I wanted to have a special dinner. We'd already really celebrated our anniversary in New York, and so our actual day was going to be low key. We ended up deciding to have a couple of friends over and grill steaks.

I got out the fancy dishes.

I got out the china and the crystal that we haven't used more than 10 times in five years. The china is a lovely gray and silver pattern and I love, love, love the glasses.


I love my fancy dishes and am mostly the sort of girl that would like to use them everyday. A glass with a stem is one of my favorite things, and swirly silver vines on snowy white dishes just makes my food look better. You know, the Queen of the Indoors loves fancy things, pretty things, sparkly things and all things stuffed with down feathers.

The man, on the other hand, likes plastic cups, plates without designs, and a pyrex storage container as a cereal bowl. He likes t-shirts, blue paint and only has three pairs of shoes. I love him, so most of the time we drink out of plastic cups and eat off of plain plates.

But, on this day, I used the fancy plates. And, I swear, the steak tasted better.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love love LOVE your fancy dishes! And your glass table top. It all looks VERY sparkly and romantic.

Alison said...

I love your fancy dishes and I'm happy that you had an occasion to bring them out.
We don't have fancy dishes or glassware. Craig, like Charlie, is fond of plastic. We drink from pink plastic cups I bought at Target 5/.98.
Since we move so much, I try not to accumulate too much breakable stuff. Things break with every move, but I would be heartbroken if it were something really nice like fancy china.

Someday we'll have nice things....

2China4Ayla said...

I am kind of sort of more like Charlie. :o) I will admit your fancy dishes and glasses are lovely! So I may be a crybaby, but I am not fancy. :o(