Sunday, February 3, 2008

cracked glass and bandaids

I think I used to be a graceful person. In high school I was on our FlagCorps and we danced all the time. Eventually I became captain and choreographer and I'd like to think I was good at it. Not anymore. Any grace I once had is long gone. Oh, I admit sometimes I sashay myself around the living room when figure skating is on (more about that obsession another time), but then I usually stub my toe.

Let me tell you what I am thankful for today. I am thankful that God watches out for us even in the small things. Last night I was letting the dogs in the house and Pheobe, our lab/husky mix, was banging her paws on the glass part of the screen door. I went to pop the door with my hand to get her to back up and my hand went through the glass. I stood there staring at my hand and it seemed only scratched, but then it started bleeding in 4 places.

What am I thankful for in this, you might wonder. I am thankful that when I did this, my friend Kristen was here. She helped me bandage my hand and get the glass cleaned up outside so that the dogs would still be able to go outside. I am thankful that we have two backdoors, so that I don't have to open that door until it gets fixed. I am blessed that it was my hand that went through the door instead of my dog's feet and face going through the glass. I am thankful that I am the only one who was hurt, and that it is minor. I am blessed that we had plywood outside that I could lean against the door to block the dogs from going to that door.

How can I ever doubt that my Lord loves me? Why would I ever have questions? It seems that because I hurt over what I want most (a baby) that I forget how much He really is there providing my needs.

Help me to see You, Lord, as You are. As I pray that you will comfort me, I need to remember that You are more than what I see. You are available in ways I never thought to ask. Help me to continue to recognize Your blessings instead of focusing on what I don't have. Thank You for my cracked glass and for bandaids.

No comments: