Wednesday, February 13, 2008

sink your teeth into...

Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer. I have talked about this book before and many of you might think I am crazy for recommending a vampire story, but this writer is amazing. Twilight is Meyer's first book and it is a complex, touching, romantic and clearly told story. The story centers on Bella Swan, who moves to tiny Forks, Washington from Phoenix, Arizona. On her first day at the new high school she locks eyes with a boy across the cafeteria and the story begins in earnest. Edward Cullen (where the Cullen came from in the babynamegame) is a boy with a secret. He has these entrancing eyes and a seductive voice and Bella is caught up in the mystery.

I know, I know, a vampire story. But the author makes them so interesting and the rules they live by are intriguing and different than legend would have us believe. Everyone I give this book to gets sucked in by page 2. The sequel, New Moon, is almost as wonderful, and the third book, Eclipse, measures up to the first.

Even if you are not one for a vampire story, the romance in this book is so wonderfully written and Meyer describes scenes in almost photographic detail. You will not be disappointed. Okay, enough about books and back to real life. Oh wait, books are my real life most days. I live in a world of books (to quote Rory Gilmore) and the characters in them are almost as real as the people that are in my life. There are heros and heroines all over I wish I could meet and talk with for awhile.

A list of favorite books (in no order):

Sophie's Heart by Lori Wick
Bamboo and Lace by Lori Wick
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen
Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks (movie is ok)
The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
Disclosure by Michael Crichton (the movie is intense and steamy)
The Firm by John Grisham (the movie is NOT as good)
Runaway Jury by John Grisham (the movie is as good)
Eragon by Christopher Paolini (the movie is like the book on speed)
Harry Potter by JK Rowling (any of them, and I like the movies)
Fire by Night by Lynn Austin (all of Lynn Austin, really)
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

As you can see, I like many genres and read books intended for all ages. I like a good story more than anything and if someone is offering a tale woven together with something special, I will check it out. Usually, if I find a good author I can trust that I will like their other books.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Roger said...

The Hero and the Crown!?!
Girl, you have got to be kidding me! But, then again, you remember how much I *hated* that book. I can still remember the big project we had to do. Ugh! What was our teacher's name? Ms. Esler? She had that tri colored hair. Can you believe that was 15 years ago? Double ugh!

I'll have to recommend those vampire books to Craig. He loves stuff like that...only he's not a big fan of the love stories involved. Why ruin a good book about vampires, or a good movie about blowing things up with a love story? He's such a dude.

Anyway, thanks for the book ideas. And I love that you quoted Rory Gilmore. I'm still not quite over the fact that the Gilmore Girls isn't on any more.

PS--did you get my last email about people being boneheads? My email was acting up, and I wasn't sure if it was sent properly.

=)

Heather said...

Oh, this post is like a big, meaty, juicy hamburger. I swear I want to just go lay on a beach with a big 'ol stack of books and read the days away. I love your suggestions and LOVE that you have such a variety.

I read "Little Earthquakes" this time last year and really liked it. I just finished "The Other Boleyn Girl" and REALLY liked it. I'll be interested to see the movie. And I'm in the middle of "The Time Traveler's Wife". It's good so far.

I love books.

Cathy said...

Just stopped by your blog--you can imagine my excitement to read you're a "Twilight" fan :) I read them because I wanted my daughter to read "The Shack" (MIND-BLOWING--esp the second half) and she was begging me to read Meyers' work. Oh what a treat! And a very pleasant surprise.

A funny story--my daughter received an "Edward Cullen" temporary tattoo with the third book and I made her wash it off after a day. After reading the book, I regret my decision! Smile.

Thanks for the list. I am just about to dive into Anne of Green Gables again.

Sissy said...

Alison, you may have hated it, but I loved that book.

Cathy, thanks for the comment. I have those tatoos as well and was trying to figure out how to wear one and not get in trouble with the husband for having an "edward" tatoo! Come on back, anytime.

Ann said...

I adore reading,its my best best way to spend time, (apart from my camera)but I see Heather enjoyed the Other Boleyn Girl...check out phillipa Gregory's back titles especially the Westacre trilogy, they are superb very atmospheric and I loved them, my other fave at the moment has to be "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by the same guy that wrote the Kiterunner it is stunning and makes you feel how lucky you are to be a woman with rights and freedoms it is also set in Afghanistan. As, for Jodi Picoult FANTASTIC !! try the Plain Truth, all about Amish culture with a twist......I could'nt put it down!

Hunny Bee said...

I'm reading 'A Thousand Splendid Sunsets' right now, but I'm gonna keep Twilight in mind for next time. I recently did a post looking for suggestions. And here I find one on yours! Cool.